Internet service in the sky?
Now satellite internet from Starlink, a company operated by Elon Musk's SpaceX, is ready to begin offering a Web connection for boat owners, but it won’t come cheap.
In addition to withstanding extreme cold, heat, hail, sleet, heavy rain, and gale force winds, Starlink is rugged enough to withstand rocket landings. Here’s live video captured on a SpaceX droneship at sea with and without Starlink pic.twitter.com/EKhLrjLhlq— SpaceX (@SpaceX) July 7, 2022
Customers can pause the billing cycle when they’re not using the service for long periods.
In a Tweet Thursday, Elon Musk explained the differences between the Maritime antenna and a home one.
“No, it’s dual, high performance terminals, which are important for maintaining the connection in choppy seas & heavy storms. Still obv premium pricing, but way cheaper & faster than alternatives. ... Also, being ruggedized for relentless salt spray & extreme winds & storms in deep ocean is not easy.”
I love that Starlink Maritime is the same exact thing as residential Starlink but on a boat but is priced 50x higher. smart vertical specific pricing @elonmusk— Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) July 7, 2022
- Mobile Internet Ressource Center : Starlink For Boats! – SpaceX Announces Starlink Maritime, with Eye-Popping Price
- DailyMail : Elon Musk's Starlink offers internet for YACHTS and other huge ships at $5,000 per month but the company will cut its own internet costs by 70 percent for its drone ships
- Mashable : Starlink Maritime brings satellite internet to your yacht
- The Maritime executive : Two New (And Very Different) Maritime Satcom Services Launch
- CNET : SpaceX's Starlink Satellite Broadband Is Coming to Boats, and It's Expensive
- SpaceNews : Dish says SpaceX’s Starlink 5G interference study is flawed
- CNBC : FCC authorizes SpaceX to provide mobile Starlink internet service to boats, planes and trucks
- ARS Technica : Starlink unveils $5,000-a-month Internet for oil rigs and premium yachts
- The Verge : Starlink RV review
- GeoGarage blog : Mega-rocket test succeeds, but not landing at sea / SpaceX Falcon 9 launch with Dragon & successful ...
- NavigationMac : Iridium Certus 100, a step towards yachting ? / Iridium GO! A positive feedback
- YachtingMonthly : Internet at sea: The future of getting online
- NSR : Maritime Users to Increase Satellite Constellations Spending by 16x