Sunday, September 1, 2019

The Balmain bug: historic six foot skiff

'Too much sail and not enough boat' is the unwritten axiom that has underpinned the development of the famous Sydney Harbour skiffs for more than 130 years.
And never was that maxim more true than for the smallest of the historic skiffs, the tiny 6 footer sometimes known as The Balmain Bug.
Look out for the full story in Yachting World's 'Extraordinary Boat' series in the July 2017 issue.

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Posidonia en las cartas nauticas de Formentera

A turquoise blue sea, white sand banks and the dark green of Posidonia Meadows are the colors with which Formentera receives the visitor.

Purity and Clarity of its waters, filtered by the largest and oldest living being in the world, The Oceanic Posidonia, with its 8 km of extension and 100,000 years of age, was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, offers visitors unique beaches in the Mediterranean.


Posidonia seagrass symbols in rasterized ENC from IHM for the Formentera island
with the GeoGarage platform

IHM paper maps
St. Wd. info for Stones & Weed 
 
Carta nautica de IHM (scale 1:175000)


Campaign “to support” Posidonia
Help with anchorage in the Balearic islands

Friday, August 30, 2019

U.S. cyberattack hurt Iran’s ability to target oil tankers, officials say


The June 20 cyber attack on Iran took out a key database on tanker traffic and curbed,
at least for a time, Iran's ability to launch covert attacks.

From NYTimes by Julian E. Barnes

A secret cyberattack against Iran in June wiped out a critical database used by Iran’s paramilitary arm to plot attacks against oil tankers and degraded Tehran’s ability to covertly target shipping traffic in the Persian Gulf, at least temporarily, according to senior American officials.

Iran is still trying to recover information destroyed in the June 20 attack and restart some of the computer systems — including military communications networks — taken offline, the officials said.

Senior officials discussed the results of the strike in part to quell doubts within the Trump administration about whether the benefits of the operation outweighed the cost — lost intelligence and lost access to a critical network used by the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, Iran’s paramilitary forces.

The United States and Iran have long been involved in an undeclared cyberconflict, one carefully calibrated to remain in the gray zone between war and peace.
The June 20 strike was a critical attack in that ongoing battle, officials said, and it went forward even after President Trump called off a retaliatory airstrike that day after Iran shot down an American drone.


Defying U.S. Sanctions, China and Others Take Oil From 12 Iranian Tankers
The U.S. has been unable to halt Iranian oil exports


Iran has not escalated its attacks in response, continuing its cyberoperations against the United States government and American corporations at a steady rate, according to American government officials.

American cyberoperations are designed to change Iran’s behavior without initiating a broader conflict or prompting retaliation, said Norman Roule, a former senior intelligence official.
Because they are rarely acknowledged publicly, cyberstrikes are much like covert operations, he said.

“You need to ensure your adversary understands one message: The United States has enormous capabilities which they can never hope to match, and it would be best for all concerned if they simply stopped their offending actions,” Mr. Roule said.

Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps patrolling around a seized British tanker in Bandar Abbas, Iran, last month.
An American cyberattack in June took out a critical database used by the Revolutionary Guards.
Credit : CreditHasan Shirvani/Agence France-Presse 

Cyberoperations do not work exactly like other conventional warfare.
A cyberattack does not necessarily deter future aggression in the same way a traditional military strike would, current and former officials say.
That is in part because cyberoperations are hard to attribute and not always publicly acknowledged by either side, the senior defense official said.

Yet cyberoperations can demonstrate strength and show that the United States will respond to attacks or other hostile acts and impose costs, the official said.

Cyber Command has taken a more aggressive stance toward potential operations under the Trump administration, thanks to new congressional authorities and an executive order giving the Defense Department more leeway to plan and execute strikes.

The head of United States Cyber Command, Army Gen. Paul M. Nakasone, describes his strategy as “persistent engagement” against adversaries.
Operatives for the United States and for various adversaries are carrying out constant low-level digital attacks, said the senior defense official.
The American operations are calibrated to stay well below the threshold of war, the official added.

The strike on the Revolutionary Guards’ intelligence group diminished Iran’s ability to conduct covert attacks, said a senior official.

The United States government obtained intelligence that officials said showed that the Revolutionary Guards were behind the limpet mine attacks that disabled oil tankers in the Gulf in attacks in May and June, although other governments did not directly blame Iran.
The military’s Central Command showed some of its evidence against Iran one day before the cyberstrike.

The White House judged the strike as a proportional response to the downing of the drone — and a way to penalize Tehran for destroying crewless aircraft.

The database targeted in the cyberattacks, according to the senior official, helped Tehran choose which tankers to target and where.
No tankers have been targeted in significant covert attacks since the June 20 cyberoperation, although Tehran did seize a British tanker in retaliation for the detention of one of its own vessels.

The US and Iran are engaged for a long time in an undeclared cyber-conflict, which is carefully remains within the gray zone between war and peace.

Though the effects of the June 20 cyberoperation were always designed to be temporary, they have lasted longer than expected and Iran is still trying to repair critical communications systems and has not recovered the data lost in the attack, officials said.

Officials have not publicly outlined details of the operation.
Air defense and missile systems were not targeted, the senior defense official said, calling media reports citing those targets inaccurate.

In the aftermath of the strike, some American officials have privately questioned its impact, saying they did not believe it was worth the cost.
Iran probably learned critical information about the United States Cyber Command’s capabilities from it, one midlevel official said.

Cyberweapons, unlike a conventional weapon, can be used only a few times, or sometimes even once.
Targets can find the vulnerability used to get access to their networks, then engineer a patch to block that opening.

“Iran is a sophisticated actor.
They will look at what happened,” said Mark Quantock, a retired major general who served as the director of intelligence for the United States Central Command, which oversees operations related to Iran.
“Russia, China, Iran and even North Korea would all be able to see how they were penetrated.”

Cyberstrikes also inevitably cut off access to intelligence that American operatives gained from exploiting that vulnerability, once the adversary discovers and fixes it.
Losing even some access to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, Tehran’s paramilitary force that is deeply involved with proxy forces around the Middle East, is a high price to pay, according to some officials.

Military and intelligence agencies always weigh the costs of a cyberoperation and the risks of lost information ahead of a strike, according to former officials.
Intelligence officials have long been skeptical of some cyberoperations, worried that the benefits are not worth the costs.

“It can take a long time to obtain access, and that access is burned when you go into the system and delete something,” said Gary Brown, a professor at the National Defense University and former legal counsel for Cyber Command.
“But on the same token, you cannot just use that as an excuse not to act.
You can’t just stockpile access and never use it.”

Links :

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Belgium (Vlaamse) layer update in the GeoGarage platform

5 nautical raster charts updated

Russia confirms discovery of five more islands

Novaya Zemlya island with the GeoGarage platform (NGA nautical chart)

From The Maritime Executive

The hydrographic group of Russia's Northern Fleet has confirmed the discovery of five islands in Vise Bay on the Kara coast of the Northern Novaya Zemlya island.
The islands range from 900 to 54,500 square meters in area.



Novaya Zemlya consists of two major islands, separated by the narrow Matochkin Strait, and a number of smaller islands.
The two main islands are Severny (Northern) and Yuzhny (Southern). Novaya Zemlya separates the Barents Sea from the Kara Sea.
The total area is about 90,650 square kilometers (35,000 square miles).

Christopher Michel / Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Over the past few years, the hydrographic group have been monitoring coastline changes in the Franz Josef Land and Novaya Zemlya archipelagos, and over 30 new islands, capes and bays have been discovered as glacial ice retreats in the region.
Nine islands were discovered in 2015 when researchers on board the hydrographic ship Senezh explored the western part of Severny Island in the Barents Sea.

Vizir research vessel


The new islands confirmed this week were first discovered three years ago during the 2015-6 expedition of the hydrographic survey vessel Vizir.
Topographic surveys have now been conducted on the new islands as part of an expedition on the Altai.

Ever northward to Mare Glaciale, and the land of few toponyms and uncertain coastlines, otherwise known as "Nova Zemla," or Novaya Zemlya; where awe struck ships tack below "admirandi meteori," or heavenly sundogs. 
Blaeu's truly major Atlas Maior.

The region denotes the western end of the Northern Sea Route, and works began last year on a new port on the Novaya Zemlya archipelago to service the world's northernmost mining operation - the Pavlovskoye project.
The port, to be built in Bezymyannaya Bay, will be owned by Rosatom, and the Pavlovskoye project to develop lead and zinc deposits on Novaya Zemlya is being run by the First Mining Company JSC. Construction is due to start in 2020, and operations are expected to commence in 2023.

Links :