Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Report blames stranding of the Kea Trader container ship in New Caledonia on human error

Durand reef in the GeoGarage platform
(SHOM 7049 nautical raster chart, scale 1:500,000)
Grounding of the Maltese registered container ship Kea Trader
in position 22° 02.28' S 168° 38.25' E on 12 July 2017 
From RadioNZ

A report into last year's stranding of a container ship in New Caledonia has blamed a multitude of human errors.
Last July 2017, the 184-metre Kea Trader ran at full speed into the Durand Reef which is well mapped.



 Kea Trader split in two
The 25,293 dwt was loaded with 782 containers and flat-racks when she grounded on Durand Reef on July 12, 2017 during a voyage from Papeete, French Polynesia to Nouméa in New Caledonia.  

It then broke in two during a storm, spilling debris and oil into the ocean which later washed up on the territory's beaches.
The maritime safety authority of Malta, where the vessel was registered, said although the ship had top navigational equipment its crew ignored warnings.
The report said on the night of the stranding, the weather was clear and the swells were moderate.
The Kea Trader's navigation system had no particular problem, although it was not configured correctly and its alarms had been deactivated, it said.
The captain and his second-in-command appeared to have ignored warning messages.

The officer of the watch was monitoring the ship's route on ECDIS, but failed to notice that the zone of confidence (ZOC) of the electronic chart was 'D' and a caution symbol was displayed.
The ECDIS route check function had not been enabled.
The audible alarm had been set to zero.

The report concluded the collision came down to human error, particularly the crew's overconfidence in the ship's technology.
"The benefits of technology have become a burden, which hinders the judicious use of equipment."

Not familiar enough with the tool


Beyond the answers it provides on the circumstances of the accident, this Maltese report calls into question the undoubtedly too great confidence that crews place in the fully computerised navigation system.
Kea Trader was using electronic chart display and information system (ECDIS) as the primary means of navigation and there were no paper charts on board.
The officer of the watch (OOW) was monitoring a route displayed on the ECDIS.
The zone of confidence (ZOC) of the electronic navigation chart (ENC GB204637) was ‘D’ and displayed a caution symbol and textual message “[t]his chart cannot be accurately referred to WGS 84 datum; see caution message”.

GB204637 General ENC (scale 1:700,000) :
Vanatu to South Fiji Basin (last update 13-07-2018)

As a result of this investigation, the Marine Safety Investigation Unit (MSIU) has made recommendations to the managers of Kea Trader aimed at improving the standard of navigation of officers in their fleet using ECDIS as the primary means of navigation.

This report of about thirty pages indicates a bad parameter setting of the digital navigation system Ecdis.
It also revealed that the audible alarms had been disabled to avoid disrupting navigation with repeated trips and noted the absence of paper charts on board.
More generally, the investigators deplore the lack of vigilance of the captain of Croatian origin, although experienced, and his Filipino crew, who were obviously not sufficiently familiar with the Ecdis navigation system.
"The benefits of technology have become a burden, which hinders the wise use of equipment," it is written throughout the pages. In the specific case of the Kea Trader, the men were obviously not familiar enough with the technological tool.

Links :

How rising seas could cause your next internet outage

Photograph: Milkweed Editions

From Grist by Greta Jochem

You probably didn’t give much thought to how exactly you loaded this webpage.
Maybe you clicked a link from Twitter or Facebook and presto, this article popped up on your screen. The internet seems magical and intangible sometimes.
But the reality is, you rely on physical, concrete objects — like giant data centers and miles of underground cables — to stay connected.

All that infrastructure is at risk of being submerged.
In just 15 years, roughly 4,000 miles of fiber-optic cables in U.S. coastal cities could go underwater, potentially causing internet outages.

That’s the big finding from a new, peer-reviewed study from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Oregon.
To figure out how rising seas could affect the internet’s physical structures, researchers compared a map of internet infrastructure to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s predictions for sea-level rise near U.S. coasts.

In New York City, about 20 percent of fibers distributed throughout the city are predicted to flood within 15 years — along with 32 percent of the fibers that connect the metropolis to other cities and 43 data centers.
The research suggests that Seattle and Miami are especially vulnerable, along with many coastal areas.

A map of New York City shows a network of cables (green lines) and areas estimated to be underwater in 15 years (blue shaded areas) due to sea-level rise.
Paul Barford, UW-Madison

“All of this equipment is meant to be weather-resistant — but it’s not waterproof,” says Paul Barford, UW-Madison professor of computer science and a coauthor of the paper.
Much of the system was put into place in the ’90s without much consideration of climate change, he says.

On top of that, much of the internet’s physical infrastructure is aging.
Paul Barford says a lot of it was designed to last only a few decades and is now nearing the end of its lifespan.

Flooded Brickell Avenue near downtown Miami.
Carl Juste / Miami Herald

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171025677.html#storylink=cpy


That is, if the floods don’t get to it first.
While 15 years may seem shockingly soon, we’re already seeing more high tide flooding, points out Carol Barford (married to the aforementioned Paul), a coauthor on the paper and director of UW-Madison’s Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment.
We’re seeing outages related to extreme weather, too: Hurricane Irma, for example, left over a million people without internet access.

It’s hard to predict exactly what would happen inland when coastal infrastructure floods — but the internet is an interconnected system, so damage in one place could affect others.
For those inland, it’s possible that coastal flooding could cause a total internet connection outage, or issues in connecting to particular web pages and services.

Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe and Palm Beach counties used data from national and international agencies (the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) to come up with their joint sea-level rise projection.
Planners from the four counties typically use the "two feet by 2060" benchmark, but some experts say South Florida could see more sea-level rise than that in the next 40 years.
Credit Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact
Still, there’s a lot of research to be done.
“We need to better understand the scope of the problem to create good solutions,” says Ramakrishnan Durairajan, a University of Oregon assistant professor of computer and information sciences and the paper’s lead author.
Further studies could examine the effects of increased extreme weather on the system, he says, as well as ways to better engineer web traffic in the face of floods or other climate-induced disasters.

The takeaway, Carol Barford says: “If we want to be able to function like we expect every day, we’re going to have to spend money and make allowances and plans to accommodate what’s coming.”

Links :

Monday, July 23, 2018

Divers discover the wreck of a Russian warship that Claim sunken warship has 200 tons of gold on board triggers frenzy in South Koreawas carrying '$113 BILLION in gold' when it was scuttled to evade Japanese capture in 1905

Donskii discovery
Scuttled by her crew in 1905, salvagers have found it off the coast of South Korea. Rumours have persisited it was laden with gold, but lots of people doubt it.
The Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was sunk 113 years ago and the rumours are believed that the ship still contains 200 tons of gold bullion and coins worth 150 trillion 'won' ($130 billion) at 2018 prices, (the 'won' is the South Korean currency). 

From The Guardian by Associated Press

Experts sceptical about claims made by company that says it has found the Dmitrii Donskoi, which went down during 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese war
A South Korean company’s claim to have found a sunken Russian warship has triggered a frenzy amid speculation the ship was carrying an enormous amount of gold when it sank 113 years ago.

The Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was discovered at a depth of more than 1,400 feet about one mile off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo. 
37°27.53547' N / 130°54.18674' E
Ulleung island in the GeoGarage platform (NGA nautical chart)

The Seoul-based Shinil Group said its divers discovered a wreck it identified as the 6,200-ton Dmitrii Donskoi, which went down during the 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese war off an eastern Korean island.
The company speculated that 200 tons of gold bars and coins ) would probably still be aboard the ship, and claimed that this would be worth 150tn won ($132bn).
However, this appears to be a huge overvaluation: the Bank of Korea’s 104 tons of gold reserves are valued at around $4.8 billion.


Shinil released photos and videos taken by search submarines, which showed markings on the stern the company said was the ship’s name in Russian.
It said it hoped to hoist the ship from its depth of around 400 metres within months.

Other companies have made similar claims, but none has taken steps toward raising the wreck.
One of them, Dong-Ah Construction, was accused of spreading false rumours to bump up its stock prices and later went bankrupt.

Shinil Group, the company behind the discovery, says it is aiming to raise the ship later this year
Photograph: handout/Reuters

Shinil is unlisted but its president recently agreed to acquire shares in a local company, Jeil Steel.

After Shinil’s announcement on the Russian ship, Jeil’s stock prices rose by 30% on South Korea’s Kosdaq market.
They continued their steep rise on Wednesday morning before Jeil in a regulatory filing clarified that Shinil’s president would be its second-largest shareholder, not the largest, if the deal goes through. Jeil also said it has “no relation to the treasure ship business”.
Jeil’s stock prices dropped more than 20% after Thursday’s trading.

South Korea’s financial supervisory service said it is closely monitoring trade activity involving the shares of Jeil Steel.
An agency official said it was watching for possible deceptive practices involving the trade of Jeil shares, including inducing investors through false information.

“Investors should beware because it’s uncertain whether the ship is salvageable and whether Shinil would be able to gain ownership of the assets even if it gets permission to raise it,” said the official, who did not want to be identified, citing office rules. “Dong-Ah Construction made similar claims over the same ship but failed to deliver on its promises and went bankrupt, causing huge losses for investors.”

Russian scholars have said in the past that Russia was unlikely to put so much gold on a single ship and it must have been much safer to move it by train.
They also have said some gold coins could have been aboard the ship to pay the salaries of Russian navy officers.

It is unclear whether Shinil would receive South Korean government approval of its salvage plans.

Local laws aimed at preserving national territory and property require the company to deposit 10% of the estimated value of the shipwreck before starting its salvage works.

Shinil disagreed on the amount of its possible deposit, saying what it has officially located was the shipwreck, not treasures on it.
It estimated the shipwreck’s value at 1.2bn won ($1 million) and planned to put down 120m won ($105,540) as a deposit.
Company spokesman Park Seong-jin said his company will file a request for the ship’s salvage right.

Some experts also said it is unlikely the Donskoi, a thickly armoured warship with more than 12 artillery pieces, 500 sailors and presumably 1,600 tons of coal, would have had room for 200 tons of gold, which would be double the current gold reserves at South Korea’s central bank.

Even if the ship is hoisted and treasures are found, their ownership could be disputed.

A South Korean financial ministry official responsible for the issue said Russia may be able to claim ownership. Park disputed that, saying 80% of the potential treasures would belong to the company while the rest would go to a South Korean government coffer.
He cited related South Korean law and an international court ruling on a similar case.
This article was amended on 20 July 2018 to clarify that the $132bn valuation of the 200 tons of gold alleged to be on the sunken ship was made by Shinil Group, and to add information about the valuation of South Korea’s gold reserves that was omitted from an earlier version.

Links :

Sunday, July 22, 2018

How music led Daniel DeLeon to study the ocean with machine learning

Daniel DeLeon never imagined he would use machine learning to study endangered whales.
But a life-long passion for music and fascination with the science of sound led him to an internship at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, where he used TensorFlow, Google’s open-source machine learning tool, to make breakthroughs identifying endangered whale calls.
Learn more about Daniel’s remarkable journey at http://g.co/soundwaves
and at Google stories

Saturday, July 21, 2018