Thursday, January 18, 2018

Robot subs are uncovering what makes underwater volcanoes blow

Havre seamount with the GeoGarage platform
(Linz nautical charts overlaid on Google Maps)

From Wired by Sian Bradley

In 2012, the Havre Seamount was the site of the largest underwater eruption of the century.
Now, high-resolution mapping of the ocean floor has revealed previously unknown behaviours of undersea volcanoes.

The remotely operated vehicle Jason (which is about the size of a large car), landing on the seafloor at Havre submarine volcano at 900 meters below sea level
University of Tasmania, Australia.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute

A pair of autonomous underwater vehicles have helped uncover details of the biggest undersea eruption of the century.
The daring mission is helping to unlock the mysteries of a rarely-seen event and shed further light on underwater volcanism.
Guided by top volcanologists from the University of Tasmania, Australia, the vehicles plunged 650 meters below sea level to map the ocean floor, shedding light on a an eruption that occurred in 2002.
That eruption, of the Havre Seamount off the coast of New Zealand, released 400 square kilometres of porous volcanic rock, some of which floated to the surface.
Satellite imagery indicates that this sort of event happens about four times every 100 years – but is something that we rarely spot.
Now, volcanologists have delved beneath the surface, and answered questions that cameras above the ocean could not.

The Havre submarine volcano 650 meters below sea level, which was the site of the largest underwater eruption of the past century
University of Tasmania, Australia.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute

“When we used the submersible vehicles to go down to the seafloor in 2015, we were able to see a vast array of new volcanic products, such as 14 different lava flows at depths of between 1,220 and 650 metres beneath sea level,” says Rebecca Carey, lead researcher on the study, which has been published in the journal Science Advances.
They were able to determine, for the first time, when the eruption happened and the volcanic processes that move magma from the crust to the surface.





Water pressure is so high at those depths that magma loses some of its energy during eruption.
“Hydrostatic pressure of the eruption column probably suppressed most of the explosivity that would have occurred if the volcano were on land,” Carey says.
“The eruption produced lava rather than a massive jet and eruption column that we see for land eruptions of this magnitude – such as Mount St.
Helens in 1980, or Chaiten volcano in 2008.” Their mapping has shown that around 80 per cent of the volcanic rock was dispersed into the Pacific Ocean, landing on Micronesian island beaches and the east Australian seaboard.

High resolution seafloor map of the Havre undersea volcano caldera with lava that erupted in 2012 lavas shown in red
University of Tasmania, Australia.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute

Volcanic eruptions on the seafloor are not unusual; around 80 per cent of Earth’s volcanism occurs below the waves.
Detecting them, however, is very tricky indeed.
To notice this type of eruption you need just the right conditions that enabled volcanic rock to accumulate on the sea surface in 2012.
"Being such a unique event, we knew it had the possibility to strongly contribute to the fundamental yet outstanding questions of how submarine volcanism works,” Carey says.


This is why the researchers sent the autonomous vehicle Sentry and the remotely operated vehicle Jason to the depths of the ocean in 2015.
Jason had various sampling equipment on board, to collect rocks or fragmental deposits.
Sentry was key for navigating a steep and rocky ocean floor.
"Sentry can manoeuvre in all directions, whereas other AUVs (Autonomous underwater vehicles) can only go in the forward direction,” Carey says.
Importantly, Sentry provided them with a high resolution map of the seafloor which revealed that underwater volcanoes are as complex as they are on land.

(l-r) Images of ship-based mapping compared with Sentry mapping
University of Tasmania, Australia

"What is really interesting in that the lava flows look exactly like how they would if they were on land,” Carey says.
The discovery also opens up further research into how marine life copes with a gigantic volcanic eruption.
"Havre's eruption produced a blanket of fragmental pumice and ash.
That ash blanket has destroyed most of the life on the volcano," Carey says.
"There were some species recolonising the volcano after just 3 years… the biologists are very interested in what species they are and whether they are local recruits or exotic species."

Links :

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Australia AHS layer update in the GeoGarage platform

10 nautical raster charts updated & 2 new charts added
see GeoGarage news

 The “Complete” Map Of The Southern Continent, 1767

New Zealand Linz update in the GeoGarage platform

3 nautical raster charts updated

A fantastical ship has set out to seek Malaysian Airlines flight 370

Norwegian research vessel Seabed Constructor
is one of the most advanced civilian exploration vessel on earth.

From The Economist 

A swarm of submarine drones will scour the depths for the plane

On January 2nd, at 8pm local time, a strange vessel cast off and sailed out of the Port of Durban, in South Africa, heading east.
Her hull was orange.
Her superstructure bristled with antennae—some long and pointy, some sleek, white and domed.
Her stern sported a crane and also a strange gantry, known to her crew as the “stinger”.
Her bow looked so huge and ungainly as to be on the point of tipping her, nose first, into the depths.
And below deck, invisible to those on shore, she carried eight autonomous submarines called HUGINs, each six metres long, weighing 1,800kg, and containing a titanium sphere to protect the sensitive electronics therein from the pressure of the ocean’s depths.

A flaperon from MH370 (foreground) with a Boeing 777 flaperon used for drift modelling research on the MH370 search operation (background).
Image from CSIRO.

The strange ship’s name is Seabed Constructor.
She is a Norwegian research vessel, built in 2014 and owned by Swire Seabed, a dredging and surveying firm in Bergen.
At the moment, though, she is leased to Ocean Infinity, a company based in Houston, Texas.
And the task Ocean Infinity has hired her for is a hard one: to find whatever is left of flight MH370, a Boeing 777-200ER that left Kuala Lumpur on March 8th 2014 with 239 people on board and vanished over the Indian Ocean.

The disappearance of MH370 is one of the great mysteries of modern civil aviation.
The aircraft was bound for Beijing, but changed course suddenly over the South China Sea and broke off radio contact.
It was last detected by radar near the northern tip of Sumatra, heading west-north-west into the open ocean.
Subsequent transmissions to a communications satellite suggested that it crashed somewhere along an arc between 1,500km and 2,700km west of Australia.


The search that followed was the largest in aviation history.
It was mounted by Fugro, a Dutch firm, and paid for by the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian governments.
Over the course of three years Fugro managed to scan 120,000 square kilometres of seabed.
But it found nothing.
The plan is for Ocean Infinity’s search to be paid for, on a “no find, no fee” basis, by Malaysia alone.
Contracts have yet to be signed, but Oliver Plunkett, Ocean Infinity’s boss, has decided to go ahead anyway, to take advantage of the window of good weather that opens in the southern Indian Ocean in January and February.

 Increased-resolution Bathymetry in the Southeast Indian Ocean

Ocean Infinity aims to cover the ground much faster than Fugro did.
In prior cruises in the Atlantic, the firm has, according to Josh Broussard, its technical director, managed to scan 890 square kilometres a day using six autonomous submarines.
With eight, Mr Broussard thinks that the new mission will be able to manage 1,200 a day—enough to have covered the original search area in just 100 days.

The new search area, 25,000 square kilometres of sea floor chosen by investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), is just north of the old one (see map).
Fugro could infer MH370’s crash site only from its final, rather shaky, satellite signals.
Ocean Infinity’s effort has been guided as well by wreckage washed ashore on the coasts of Africa and several islands in the Indian Ocean—hence the more northerly starting point.
Seabed Constructor will reach that starting-point, which is about 35°S, and 2,200km off the coast of Western Australia, on or about January 17th, her crew having conducted a few final tests and calibrations of the HUGIN system en route, using remote-controlled robots to place dummy debris on the sea floor in order to see if the subs can find it.
If searching the patch of ocean designated by the ATSB reveals nothing, then the ship will head farther north, towards the 30th parallel, which some independent experts believe is a better bet.

 
An ocean of interest


Fugro’s search used but a single autonomous submarine, and this was unable to dive below 4,000 metres, meaning it was not always close to the seabed.
The HUGINs carried by Seabed Constructor can, however, go as deep as 6,000 metres.
That permits them to reach most of the sea floor comfortably.
And the fact that there are eight of them means different areas can be searched in parallel, and that some submarines will always be at sea.

The HUGINs will be launched by the stinger, which extends out over the ship’s stern.
Once underwater, the robot craft will communicate with the ship using an acoustic modem.
The ship’s own modem, which will receive these signals, is fixed to the end of a long pole that extends down through her hull into the water.

Each HUGIN comes with a 300kg lithium-polymer battery pack, good for a tour of duty lasting up to 60 hours.
A downward-pointing sonar will map the contours of the seabed beneath the craft, but most of the searching will be done by side-mounted sonars scanning the bed on either side of the craft.
These send out pings and measure the intensity with which they are reflected.
Sand reflects less sound than metal does, meaning metal objects such as aircraft debris are easy to distinguish.
And if something apparently metallic is detected, its nature can be confirmed using an on-board magnetometer.

 Video describing the capabilities of the Kongsberg Maritime Hugin Autonomous Underwater Vehicle

The HUGINs’ search patterns are set by people, but the craft will actually navigate with little reference to their mother ship.
Every so often, the ship will send out a corrective ping to keep them on course.
Mostly, however, they will employ dead reckoning, based on data from accelerometers, to steer themselves autonomously.
They are also capable of picking their way without assistance over sheer underwater cliffs and mountains, and past crevices and gullies, using on-board cameras and machine-vision software.

After its tour of duty, a HUGIN will be lifted back on-board ship and the data it has collected (up to two terabytes, recorded on a waterproof hard drive) downloaded into the ship’s data centre and turned into human-readable maps, a process that takes six hours.
The HUGIN’s battery will be replaced with a fully charged one, any necessary repairs made, and the craft then sent back out into the ocean.


 Video describing the launch and recovery system of the Kongsberg Maritime Hugin Autonomous Underwater Vehicle
 
A team of geologists and hydrographers will then pore over the maps, looking for signs of the missing plane.
Surprisingly, for such a high-tech operation, this stage of the search will be entirely manual.
Every block of sea floor that the HUGINs map will be examined by three sets of human eyes.
Together, this survey team will come up with a list of possible targets, ranked from “E” to “A” (“nothing” to “that’s it”), to present to their bosses.
If the data look good, a HUGIN will be sent down for a second, closer look, cameras at the ready.

What happens next, if Ocean Infinity does locate what is left of the missing aircraft, is unclear.
Friends and relatives of those aboard it will doubtless derive relief from knowing where the flight ended up.
But merely finding the wreckage will not explain what happened on board the plane.
That will require the discovery of the aircraft’s flight recorder.

A rendering of the Seabed Constructor, and HUGIN ‘fre flying’ AUVs.
Image supplied from Ocean Infinity.

That object is therefore Ocean Infinity’s ultimate target.
If it is found on this mission, Mr Broussard says the firm plans to bring it to the surface and then deliver it for analysis to the Australian authorities, who have the technical competence to assess it.
A follow-up trip to examine the wreckage, and even bring it to the surface, would require further authorisation from the Malaysian government.

Seabed Constructor is the most advanced civilian survey vessel on the planet today.
If its array of technology cannot find MH370, then it is likely that nothing will, and that the mystery of MH370 will remain unsolved.
Either way, though, the advance of technology may mean that it is the last such mystery.
As the oceans are watched with ever closer scrutiny, from space and the depths, it is increasingly difficult for anything to get lost in the first place.

Links :

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Huge oil spill spreads in East China Sea, stirring environmental fears

A collision involving the Sanchi — shown being doused at right before it sank — created what appeared to be the largest tanker oil spill since 1991.
Environmentalists and marine experts are concerned about the oil slick’s threat to sea and bird life in the East China Sea.
CreditTransport Ministry of China, via European Pressphoto Agency

From NYTimes by Gerry Mullany

An oil spill from an Iranian tanker that sank in the East China Sea is rapidly spreading, officials said Tuesday, alarming environmentalists about the threat to sea and bird life in the waterway.


The tanker, the Sanchi, was carrying 136,000 tons of highly flammable fuel oil when it crashed into a freighter on Jan. 6.
On Sunday, the Sanchi sank after a huge blast sent up a great plume of black smoke and set the surface of the water on fire, China Central Television said.

The bodies of three crew members have been recovered, and the remaining 29 were presumed dead, the Iranian government said.
Thirty Iranians and two Bangladeshis were believed to have died.

 The burning Iranian oil tanker Sanchi is seen partially sunk in the East China Sea
off the eastern coast of China on January 14.

The oil slicks from the sunken tanker were growing in size, China’s State Oceanic Administration said Tuesday.
There are now two huge slicks covering 52 square miles, compared with just four square miles the previous day.
Strong winds were pushing the spill toward Japan, away from China, and it was now less than 200 miles from Naha, Japan.

One concern is that, since the Sanchi sank, marine life will be endangered by the fuel oil’s spreading instead of burning off.
And experts are further concerned that the even dirtier bunker fuel powering the tanker will be released into the sea, exposing delicate marine life to the extremely toxic substance.

Greenpeace expressed alarm about the threat to the marine ecosystem in the East China Sea, which is one of the world’s most heavily trafficked waterways, saying the disaster occurred in “an important spawning ground” for fish.
“At this time of year the area is used as wintering ground by common edible species such as hairtail, yellow croaker, chub mackerel and blue crab,” Greenpeace said.
“The area is also on the migratory pathway of many marine mammals, such as humpback whale, right whale and gray whale.”

The tanker was carrying more than one million barrels of condensate, an extremely light crude oil, to South Korea when it collided with the freighter.
When spilled, the condensate can produce a deep underwater plume damaging to marine life.

File photo shows a rescue ship sailing near the burning Iranian oil tanker Sanchi
photo AP

The Japanese Coast Guard said the fire on the surface of the sea was extinguished early Monday.

The Sanchi disaster appears to be the largest tanker spill since 1991, when an unexplained detonation caused the ABT tanker to leak 260,000 tons of oil off the coast of Angola.

Rick Steiner, a marine conservation specialist formerly with the University of Alaska, told The Associated Press that 60,000 to 90,000 tons was likely to have spilled into the sea, calling it “enormous” and “as large as the official estimate of the Exxon Valdez disaster” off the coast of Alaska in 1989.
He also suggested that the Chinese government was likely to be understating the magnitude of the spill.
Hiroshi Takahashi, a fisheries official in Kagoshima Prefecture in Japan, said the government was “monitoring the direction” of the spill because of fears it “could direct towards Kagoshima.”

The deaths of the Iranian crew members on the tanker prompted Iran’s government to declare a day of national mourning on Monday to honor “the brave mariners who died in the course of their mission.”

Eshaq Jahangiri, Iran’s first vice president, said that efforts to recover the bodies of 29 crew members ceased when the tanker sank off the China’s coast on Sunday.

Because of the release of toxic gases in the immediate aftermath of the explosion, there was little hope that the crew members survived, but efforts to recover their bodies had continued, Mr. Jahangiri said.
“Unfortunately, the ship sank and we could not access their bodies.”

 A computer-generated scenario of where the slick will spread.
(Image: National Oceanography Centre)

Officials still don’t know the cause of the collision between the Sanchi and the CF Crystal, a Chinese freighter that was carrying grain.

Links :