Friday, October 7, 2011

Netherlands NLHO update in the Marine GeoGarage


79 charts (227 including sub-charts -see list-) have been updated with 2011 material from the Netherlands Hydrographic Office.

Note : In accordance with SOLAS, nautical products must be kept up-to-date.
The Netherlands Hydrographic Office therefore publishes Notices to Mariners (corrections on Netherlands nautical charts, small craft charts and Nautical Publications / Week edition).

USA NOAA update in the Marine GeoGarage

14928 Chicago harbor

27 charts have been updated in the Marine GeoGarage
(NOAA update August/September 2011
)

  • 1117A LEASE BLOCK FOR GALVESTON TO RIO GRANDE
  • 11300 GALVESTON TO RIO GRANDE
  • 11302 STOVER POINT TO PORT BROWNSVILLE SIDE A
  • 11427 FORT MYERS TO CHARLOTTE HARBOR and WIGGINS PASS
  • 11545 BEAUFORT INLET AND PART OF CORE SOUND
  • 11547 MOREHEAD CITY HARBOR
  • 12372 LONG ISLAND SOUND - RI CONN
  • 13316 BLUE HILL BAY ME
  • 14928 CHICAGO HARBOR
  • 18431 ROSARIO STRAIT TO CHERRY POINT
  • 18476 PUGET SOUND HOOD CANAL AND DABOB BAY
  • 18502 GRAYS HARBOR
  • 19351 KAUMALAPAU HARBOR
  • 26194 NAVASSA ISLAND
  • 11324 GALVESTON BAY ENTRANCE GALVESTON and TEXAS CITY HRBRS
  • 11327 UPPER GALVESTON BAY
  • 11328 HOUSTON SHIP CHANNEL
  • 11361 MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA
  • 11450 FOWEY ROCKS TO AMERICAN SHOAL
  • 12254 CHESAPEAKE BAY CAPE HENRY TO THIMBLE SHOAL LIGHT
  • 12350 JAMAICA BAY AND ROCKAWAY INLET
  • 13209 BLOCK ISLAND SOUND AND GARDINERS BAY
  • 13227 FALL RIVER HARBOR MA
  • 13237 NANTUCKET SOUND AND APPROACHES MA
  • 13301 MUSCONGUS BAY ME
  • 18758 DEL MAR BOAT BASIN CAMP JOSEPH H. PENDLETON CALIFORNIA
  • 25640 PUERTO RICO AND VIRGIN ISLANDS

Today 1019 NOAA raster charts (2166 including sub-charts) are included in the Marine GeoGarage viewer.

Note : NOAA updates their nautical charts with corrections published in:
  • U.S. Coast Guard Local Notices to Mariners (LNMs),
  • National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Notices to Mariners (NMs), and
  • Canadian Coast Guard Notices to Mariners (CNMs)
While information provided by this Web site is intended to provide updated nautical charts, it must not be used as a substitute for the United States Coast Guard, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, or Canadian Coast Guard Notice to Mariner publications

Please visit the
NOAA's chart update service for more info.

Container ship stranded off New Zealand leaking oil


The 47,230 tonne cargo ship Rena carrying 2,000 containers grounded on Astrolabe Reef,
about 12 nautical miles off the New Zealand coast, Wednesday 5 October 2011


From BBC

A large container ship stuck on a reef off the coast of New Zealand is leaking oil.

Maritime New Zealand said the intermittent leak appeared to be coming from damaged pipes rather than from fuel tanks.
Four seabirds have so far been found dead in the oil slick, which extends about 5km (3 miles) from the ship.

The Liberia-flagged Rena struck the Astrolabe Reef about 12 nautical miles from Tauranga Harbour on Wednesday.



>>> geolocalization with the Marine GeoGarage <<<
Rena vessel : IMO Number: 8806802 / MMSI Number: 636014911 (MarineTraffic)

The agency says the 25 crew on board are safe and trying to stop more oil from leaking.

'Hazardous ship'

Transport Minister Steven Joyce said the situation was worse than first thought.
He said there was a "significant amount of oil" and warned the vessel could break up due to its "precarious" position on the reef.
Maritime NZ has officially declared the 47,000 tonne container vessel "a hazardous ship" - that gives the agency the power to take control of the salvage operation if it was deemed necessary.

The authority's on-site controller Rob Service said a monitoring flight over the stricken vessel on Thursday afternoon revealed the oil slick had doubled in size from earlier in the day.
"We are not aware of any actual breaches in the fuel tanks. However, because of the extensive damage to the vessel, it is difficult to determine accurately what is the scale and scope of the damage," he said.

Mr Service said it was not clear how much of the 1,700 tonnes of heavy fuel oil on board had leaked.
Testing using dispersants to break up the slick had proved ineffective.

New Zealand's Department of Conservation said the Astrolabe Reef was covered with colourful sponges and anemones, with seals and gamefish such as marlin common in surrounding waters.

Two wildlife rescue centres have been set up.

Links :

Thursday, October 6, 2011

What created Earth's Oceans? Comet offers new clue


Epoxi finds ice water in space Hartley 2 comet

From NationalGeographic

For the first time, astronomers have found water on a comet that's a chemical match for water on Earth, a new study says.
The discovery backs up theories that water-rich comets helped fill ancient Earth's oceans.

Planet-formation models indicate that early Earth was much too hot to sustain liquid water on its surface, making the origin of Earth's oceans a mystery.
So scientists speculated that our planet's surface water came from comets that slammed into Earth once the planet had cooled.

This theory was dealt a serious blow in the 1980s, however, due to measurements of the ratio of normal to "semiheavy" molecules—the D/H ratio—in comet water.
In a semiheavy water molecule, one hydrogen atom (H) is replaced with a heftier version called deuterium (D).
All water in nature has a D/H ratio, and since deuterium is a very stable atom, this ratio can go unchanged for eons.
Since the 1980s researchers have found that several comets in our solar system have D/H ratios that are very different from that of Earth's water.

Those results indicated that, at best, only about 10 percent of Earth's water could have come from comets, with the rest probably coming from water-rich asteroids, explained study leader Paul Hartogh, an astronomer at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany.


Measurements from the Herschel Space Observatory show that comet Hartley 2, which comes from the distant Kuiper Belt, contains water with the same chemical signature as water in Earth's oceans.
The findings may help explain how Earth’s surface ended up covered in water.
CREDIT: NASA/JPL-Caltech/R. Hurt

Kuiper Belt Comet a Match

In the new study, Hartogh and his team used the European Space Agency's Herschel Space Observatory to examine the D/H ratio of the comet 103P/Hartley 2.
The results show that Hartley 2's water is very similar to that of Earth.
(See pictures: "First Close-ups of Peanut-Like Hartley 2.")

Hartley 2 is a so-called Jupiter family comet, because its orbit takes the comet close to the orbits of Jupiter and the other gas giants.

Importantly, computer simulations suggest that Hartley 2 originated from the Kuiper belt, a region beyond the orbit of Neptune that is filled with comets and other icy remnants from the formation of our solar system.
This would suggest that the larger group of comets that helped form Earth's oceans originally came from the Kuiper belt. (Related: "Three New 'Plutos'? Possible Dwarf Planets Found.")

By contrast, the comets with D/H ratios that didn't match Earth's are thought to have originated in the Oort cloud, a reservoir of billions of comets that astronomers think exists far beyond the Kuiper belt.

Watery Asteroids Also a Source?

Finding a comet that's a match for Earth suggests more such matches may be out there, which means much more of our planet's water could have come from comets after all, Hartogh said.

But exactly how much is still unclear and will require further studies.
"We cannot give a number," Hartogh said.
"In principle, all of Earth's water may come from comets. However, it is still possible that a large—or the largest—fraction came from asteroids."

Links :
  • BBC : Comet's water 'like that of Earth's oceans'
  • Nature : Comets take pole position as water bearers

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

World's oldest sailor arrives home in Japan after solo journey around globe


Minoru Saito has returned home to a hero's welcome after an epic 1,080-day journey sailing single-handed the 'wrong way' around the world.

From The Telegraph

An earthquake, two tsunamis, giant icebergs, towering waves and five typhoons: these may sound like typical challenges for anyone sailing around the world on their own.

But Japanese sailor Minoru Saito also had to contend with back pain, a hernia, a knee operation and organising delivery of his heart tablets – perhaps unsurprisingly, bearing in mind that he is 77-years-old.

Mr Saito broke a series of records – and defied all pensioner stereotypes - as he sailed into Yokohama port to a hero's welcome after an epic 1,080-day journey sailing single-handed around the world.
Not only did he his arrival confirm his status as the oldest person to sail around the world, he is also the oldest to do so the "wrong way" - from west to east – as well as the only person to have circumnavigated the globe alone eight times.

It was in morning sunshine shortly after 10am that Mr Saito’s boat finally appeared in Yokohama Bay, with the sail rolled down due to blustery winds and supported by a welcome flotilla of three other small vessels.
Cheering crowds of friends and sailing enthusiasts greeted the boat, which was clearly well-travelled: rust stains marked the once-pristine white paint, a tangle of weathered ropes were piled in the back while its name was almost entirely washed off the sides.

Suntanned Mr Saito, however, appeared in better shape than his boat, smiling broadly as he leapt around with an array of ropes with the agility of a sailor half his age.
Stepping onto the floating pier and accepting bouquets of flowers, he told the Sunday Telegraph: "I'm very, very happy to be back but it was difficult. It was my longest trip. It went on for months and months and years and years, I had so many problems. But it’s great to be back.”
He added: “I missed a lot of things, mostly cherry blossoms and Japanese food. But I feel very young in both mind and body and I feel I’m in great shape.”

The word “retirement” not featuring in his vocabulary, he went on with a laugh: “I’m already thinking about my next trip. I’d like to head to Greenland and Alaska next. I just need to raise the money and then I’ll go off again.”
He added: "I missed a lot of things, mostly cherry blossoms and Japanese food. But I feel very young in both mind and body and I feel I'm in great shape." The word "retirement" not featuring in his vocabulary, he added with a laugh: "I'm already thinking about my next trip. I'd like to head to Greenland and Alaska next. I just need to raise the money and then I'll go off again."

It was in October 2008 that Mr Saito set off from Yokohama on a trip that he initially hoped would last only 287 days on board his prized 56-foot sailing boat, Nicole BMW Shuten-dohji III.
He had already accomplished a record-breaking seven solo journeys around the world but it was his first time travelling west to east – a famously challenging route as it goes directly against prevailing winds and currents, requiring significant skill and effort as well as raising the danger of colliding with floating icebergs and debris.

In the event, however, Mr Saito's eighth trip took him nearly four times longer than anticipated, due to a litany of delays caused by repairs, inclement weather conditions and natural disasters.
His 28,500 mile journey ran smoothly until Cape Horn, where a three-day gale heaped up 30-foot waves and 50 knot winds – leading to extensive damage that required him to be rescued by the Chilean Coast Guard.

Instead he was forced to spend the winter months in a small harbour in Punta Renas, the world's southernmost city, as he repaired damage to his boat - the darkest moment of the trip, he said. "I had these big steel fishing boats hitting me on both sides and if my boat had not been made of steel, it would have been crushed and sunk.
"I was really worried I might die from stress and the cold but I could not leave the boat unprotected."

It was also while in Chile that his health appeared to catch up with him as he was forced to undergo an emergency hernia operation, which delayed his trip even further.
After one more failed attempt, he finally rounded Cape Horn, and was narrowly spared disaster when more problems that developed on his boat required him to stop again for repairs.
His course would otherwise have taken him precisely to the epicentre of the 2010 Chilean earthquake just as it struck.
"He was incredibly lucky," said Mike Seymour, the on-shore safety officer for his trip. "Just before the earthquake struck we'd pulled him into a small island off the Chilean coast as there were some boat problems."
Although damaged by the subsequent tsunami, once again his boat survived and following further repairs, Mr Saito was back on his way.

The next drama came in Hawaii, where he had stopped to undergo boatwork repairs – and was knocked down in the street by a car, resulting in a knee operation in hospital.
He was still there on March 11 this year when his boat survived yet another tsunami, triggered by the giant Tohoku earthquake in his homeland Japan, resulting in yet further delays.
To cap his chronicle of setbacks, he then had patiently to wait for a total of five typhoons to pass through the region before being able to embark on the final leg of his journey into Japan.
Arriving back – weighing a little less, with a still-healing knee, but otherwise professing robust health – Mr Saito said: "My body was feeling tired and my mind was nervous but I stopped for a few days on a small island before the final journey to Yokohama and soaked in some hot springs. Now I feel very good."

Upon arrival, he was greeted with a message from the British sailor Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, the first person single-handedly to circumnavigate the world without a single stop, who wrote: "Please give my congratulations to Saito-san on yet another determined circumnavigation. His success will bring great pleasure to his many friends."

Mr Saito's latest achievements cap a sailing career which started in 1973 at the age of 39 when he decided to switch from his previous hobby, mountaineering.
Mr Saito, who overcame TB as a child growing up in wartime Tokyo, went on to compete several times in the famously gruelling former BOC Challenge, which involves solo circumnavigation of the world.

Today, he resides only on his boat, never having married but always travelling with a photograph of his late fiancée who tragically died in a sailing accident.
He also carries with him the tail of a rattlesnake which he says brings him good luck.
And despite his most recent odyssey lasting more than 1,000 days, it's clear that he still has energy for more adventures – and hopes that such escapades might inspire younger generations.
"Japanese young people are often too weak and don't do enough," said
"They need to challenge themselves to really try hard. You only have one life to lead so must always do your very best."

ROUND THE WORLD WITH MINORU SAITO
  • 1934: Born in Asakusa, Tokyo.
  • 1973: Took up sailing for the first time and began participating in Japanese races.
  • 1988: Survived his first typhoon and two cyclones sailing from Japan to Sydney.
  • 1990-1991: Sailed around the world in 197 days, as part of the former BOC Challenge. Also sailed around the world while heading to and returning from the race.
  • 1994-5: Sailed around the world for a third time, again as part of the BOC Challenge. Upon completion, he sailed solo around the world once more before returning to Japan.
  • 1998-9: His third global race, at the age of 65: he completed in 203 days. Also sailed around the world – going there and back again - to attend the race.
  • 2001: Returning to Japan, he again sailed solo around the world – his sixth global circumnavigation.
  • 2004: First solo nonstop circumnavigation at the age 71, breaking records for both the oldest and also the most number of circumnavigations.
  • 2008-2011: His most recent mission, his eighth trip sailing around the world.