Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tip of the day : how to create a link to the Marine GeoGarage

Geo link to the Marine GeoGarage

If you need to send the display of a specific area containing the nautical map at the scale of your choice :
  • move the cursor of the mouse to the left bottom corner of the map
  • a small window appears (show in red above)
  • click once on the first line (Link) to copy and paste the html address for sending this link via Email or Instant Messaging (IM)
For 'Public' layers (NOAA US, Linz NZ, DHN Brazil ), select at first the chart layer, and this one will be automatically recorded in the Marine GeoGarage link.
Ex.: Fort Lauderdale, Bahia Mar Yacht Club
http://marine.geogarage.com/routes?anonmap=eyJtdCI6MSwicG9zIjp7ImxsIjoiMjYuMTEzMTgsLTgwLjEwNjU1IiwieiI6MTd9LCJvIjp7Ijk1MyI6eyJ0Ijo2OX19fQ==

For 'Private' chart layers (UKHO, CHS Canada, SHN Argentina) , you need to be registered with 'Chart Premium' access
Ex. : Bassin Louise, Quebec ( to view the above CHS chart)
http://marine.geogarage.com/routes?anonmap=eyJtdCI6MSwicG9zIjp7ImxsIjoiNDYuODIwNDYsLTcxLjE5OTM5IiwieiI6MTZ9LCJvIjp7IjEwN2EiOnsidCI6NTh9fX0=

Note : you can eventually use the service of some URL shortening services (bit.ly ...) in order to insert your Marine GeoGarage link in a short form for Twitter
Ex. : http://bit.ly/doluXW / http://bit.ly/aV47Zk tied to the above examples

Work underway to resolve Beaufort Sea boundary dispute

NOAA chart of the Yukon-Alaska border

CHS chart of the Yukon-Alaska border

From VancouverSun

Canadian and U.S. government experts met quietly in Ottawa last week to begin trying to resolve a long-standing boundary dispute in the Beaufort Sea, a Canadian diplomat revealed Monday.

News of the surprise talks was disclosed during a briefing by Canadian and U.S. officials on a bi-national seabed mapping mission to be conducted next month in the Beaufort region.

This summer's joint Canada-U.S. survey, the third consecutive year in which researchers from the two countries have agreed to collaborate on mapping the Beaufort sea floor, will also include a sonar probe of the contested area itself for the first time.

The Ottawa talks on the Beaufort controversy, held July 22, followed a pledge earlier this year by Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon that Canada intends to actively pursue an agreement with the U.S. over where the maritime boundary should be drawn in an unresolved, Lake Ontario-sized section of the Arctic Ocean north of the Yukon-Alaska border.

Allison Saunders, deputy director of the continental shelf division at the Department of Foreign Affairs, said the gathered specialists in international law, hydrography and other fields had a productive discussion on the technical aspect related to the boundary and that a second meeting has been scheduled to take place in Washington next year.

Beginning Aug. 2, scientists aboard the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Healy and the Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker Louis S. St-Laurent will co-operate in a 42-day mission aimed at generating seabed data across a wide swath of the southern, central and northern Beaufort Sea.

The information is intended to help the two countries prepare their respective claims under a UN treaty for extended authority over submerged territory as well as potential petroleum deposits and other seabed resources.

Canada's submission to the UN agency on continental shelves is due in 2013.

Until now, the two countries have avoided conducting survey work in the disputed zone in the southern Beaufort.

But the federal scientist leading Canada's offshore mapping mission, Natural Resources Canada geologist Jacob Verhoef, said Monday that mapping within the contested area has become necessary to complete each country's broader claims for undersea territory beyond the Beaufort's southern waters.

To secure extensions to their authority over extended stretches of undersea territory, countries must prove that clear geological connections exist between the continental mainland and adjacent stretches of sea floor.

Historically, the key area of dispute was a triangle-shaped, 21,500-sq.-km section of the Beaufort Sea close to the Yukon-Alaska shore. But the joint Canada-U.S. seabed surveys in 2008 and 2009 showed each country's claims could extend much farther toward the North Pole than previously imagined, doubling or even tripling the ultimate size of the dispute zone once continental shelf submissions are made.

The two countries have disagreed since the 1970s over where to draw the ocean border. It's a conflict that flares whenever fisheries management, oil-and-gas exploration or other resource development issues arise in the region.

Canada's position is based on an 1825 treaty between Russian and Britain that was transferred to the U.S. and Canada when the two countries acquired Alaska and the Yukon respectively in the latter half of the 19th century.

That treaty suggests the Beaufort Sea maritime boundary is an extension of the arrow-straight land border between Yukon and Alaska, which follows the 141st meridian.

The U.S. argues the offshore boundary is defined by an "equidistance" principle: the demarcation line at any point is drawn halfway between each country's nearest stretch of coastline.

But because the two countries are working to expand their seabed domains in the central and northern Beaufort — also potential petroleum targets — an area much larger than the traditional dispute zone is coming into play.

Under the U.S. formula for determining the maritime boundary, the looming presence of Canada's Banks Island on the Beaufort's eastern side radically alters where the border between the two countries would be drawn in areas farther out to sea.

According to the U.S. position, Alaska's northward-sloping coastline means the sea's southern maritime boundary veers slightly eastward of the Yukon-Alaska land boundary, giving the U.S. a greater amount of marine jurisdiction.

But the overlap in the northerly expanse of the Beaufort would be much larger and reversed, with the boundary under the U.S. formula swinging far to the west because of Banks Island, giving Canada a greater share of the potentially resource-rich seabed.

Meanwhile, Canada's longitude-line formula for determining the boundary would give the U.S. more seabed territory in the outer Beaufort.

Canada also recently began talks with Denmark to try to resolve an offshore territorial dispute in the eastern Arctic Ocean.

In March, Canwest News Service revealed that the two countries were now actively working to end a decades-old disagreement over a 200-square-kilometre section of the Lincoln Sea, north of Canada's Ellesmere Island and Danish-controlled Greenland.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Crazy-looking new deep-sea creatures

"An ocean without its unnamed monsters would be like a completely dreamless sleep."
John Steinbeck


From Wired

Ten new possible species could change everything about the way we think about deep-sea life in the Atlantic Ocean.

Most of the creatures are so strange, it is hard to know which direction they swim or where their mouths are.

The images were captured by researchers from the University of Aberdeen during more than 300 hours of diving with a remotely operated vehicle between 2,300 feet and 12,000 feet deep along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the largest mountain range on Earth, which runs down the center of the Atlantic Ocean between Europe and Africa on the east and the Americas on the west.

Three of the species, which look like colorful wavy worms, belong to a group of creatures called Enteropneust, which is believed to be the evolutionary link between backbone and invertebrate animals. Previously only a few specimens of the group, from the Pacific Ocean, were known to science.

“They have no eyes, no obvious sense organs or brain but there is a head end, tail end and the primitive body plan of backboned animals is established,” said Monty Priede, one of the lead researchers on the project, part of the Census of Marine Life.

One of the most surprising observations by the researchers was how different the species are on either side of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, just tens of miles apart. “[The two sides of the ridge are] mirror images of each other,” Priede said. “but that is where the similarity ended.”

“It seemed like we were in a scene from Alice Through the Looking Glass,” Pried said. “This expedition has revolutionized our thinking about deep-sea life in the Atlantic Ocean. It shows that we cannot just study what lives around the edges of the ocean and ignore the vast array of animals living on the slopes and valleys in the middle of the ocean.”

Links :

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Respect : round the world solo non-stop without assistance, on a sailing boat of 6.5

I had to go there.
It was a sort of mystic conviction - something in the nature of a call.
But it was difficult to state intelligibly the grounds of this belief to that man of rigorous logic...
Joseph Conrad, The mirror of the sea

From OceanExplorers

Franco-Italian Alessandro Di Benedetto has spent the last 268 days circumnavigating the world in a 6.5 meter yacht solo. The last part, the whole Atlantic, of it with a jury rig.

Alessandro Di Benedetto arrived in Les Sables d’Olonne, France on Thursday July 22nd, where he started nearly nine months ago. Hundreds of friends, family and followers had gathered to meet the solo sailor.

It was really fantastic for me. It was a dream I've always thought was feasible. However, there are plenty of people told me I was crazy and that I would die, Alessandro said when he finally could set his feet on shore again.


The boat he used, though modified, is by no means designed for a world circumnavigation. The 6.5 meter long boat is designed for fast solo sailing over the Atlantic in warm down wind. Not for sailing in house high waves in the harsh Southern Ocean conditions. But the 40 year old solo sailor managed to control both his boat and himself during the 24,000 miles nonstop and without assistance.

It’s a first for such a small boat.
His record, as the smallest boat to complete a circumnavigation in such a time, have been approved by the World Speed Sailing Record Council (WSSRC). The official time is 268 days, 19 hours, 36 minutes and 12 seconds as the official time.

"Keeps going anyway"
The accomplishment becomes even bigger when considering that the Franco-Italian sailor dismasted just before rounding Cape Horn. He made a jury rig and after some thinking decided to carry on to Les Sables d’Olonne. That’s seamanship and persistence few can do after him.
The distance under jury rig alone must be close to a world record in jury rigged sailing--if such a category exists.

Alessandro had rather lofty goals for his project which range beyond simply being the 'first' to achieve something. In his words (from his website) some of the aims of the project were :
  • to accomplish a unique feat which would be recognized as World Record.
  • to be ambassador and international testimonial for sponsors taking part into the event.
  • to contribute to the scientific research in several fields (renewable energy, environment protection, medical researches, new technologies, clothing, materials).
  • to promote extraordinary experience to be shared with people from different cultures in order to make them feel citizens of the world.
  • to be a source of inspiration and motivation for children and young people and to educate them to consider themselves citizens of the world in order to sustain the protection of both natural and artistic earth heritage, with special regard to the next generations.
Links :

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sailboat struck by breaching whale



"We were on the boat and we saw the whale coming out, and we saw it. It's legitimate -- it hasn't been Photoshopped."


From
CapeArgus

A breaching whale has crash-landed on a sailboat in Table Bay, narrowly missing the vessel's occupants and leaving in its wake bits of blubber and thick skin.

This picture shows the southern right whale seconds before its massive body landed on the coach roof of the boat, flattening the steel mast and bringing down the rigging before sliding back into the water and disappearing into the distance.

"It was quite scary," said Paloma Werner, who had been out sailing with her boyfriend and business partner, Ralph Mothes, of the Cape Town Sailing Academy.
"We thought the whale was going to go under the boat and come up on the other side. We thought it would see us." But the boat had its engine turned off.

Meredith Thornton, scientist and manager of the Cape Town Mammal Research Institute at the University of Pretoria, said: "Whales don't see much by way of their eyes but by sound in the water."
Between the whale's poor eyesight and low visibility in the water, Thornton said the whale, which she believed to be young, probably did not know the boat was in its way.

The couple first saw the whale when it was about 100m away. It breached once and, before they knew it, the whale was a mere 10m from their yacht.
"There was hardly any wind, so we couldn't get out of the way," said Werner. "We didn't have time to take any evasive action."

The yacht, a 10m training boat called Intrepid, is made of steel and did not suffer any structural damage. "If it had been a fibreglass boat it would have been sunk, so we were lucky," said Werner.

The whale was seen pounding its tail on the surface of the water just moments before breaching.
"It looked like it was angry or something," said Joseph Mbaya, a sailor and tour guide for Yacoob Tourism. He had stopped his boat, Ameera, just 300m short of the whale to take photographs.

Thornton said the whale had not been angry, but was probably "lob-tailing" in order to communicate with other whales.
"If a whale wanted to be aggressive it would side-swipe the boat with its tail," she said.

Two people from Botswana were on Ameera with Mbaya.
One of the tourists, who Mbaya knew only as James, captured the moment on his camera just before the whale hit the boat.
James gave a copy of the picture to Mbaya as a keepsake and the tour guide brought it to the Cape Argus.

After the incident, Mothes and Werner surveyed the damage to their yacht.
"The first thing we did was make sure there was no water downstairs. We didn't know if the whale was coming back," said Werner.
The couple were contacted by other concerned sailors who had seen the accident, but they were fine.

Werner and Mothes then reported the accident to Port Control.
The couple managed to turn the engine on and made it back to the marina without assistance.
They docked the boat and folded the crumpled sails, asking for help only to move the damaged mast.
Thornton said the whale was probably not badly injured.
"It's definitely very badly bruised, but probably did not break anything," she said. "It's definitely feeling it today."
Thornton said southern right whales could reach up to 15m and could weigh up to 60 tons. They can be seen year-round near the Cape, but are more prevalent at this time of year.

They come here to breed," said Thornton. "It's a regular occurrence in winter months."
According to Thornton, the population of the southern right whale was healthy and growing steadily.
"I think this is something that is going to happen more and more, because the number of whales in South African waters is increasing at the biological maximum, which is 7.5 percent each year."
"There are also more and more people using the whales' environment (for) swimming and boating."

Werner said the shock of the accident had not hit her until she finally sat down at the end of the day. But she remained upbeat.
"It gives a whole new meaning to having a whale of a time," she joked.

CBS Evening News with Katie Couric shared the above video on Thursday, offering proof that a southern right whale did, indeed, jump out of the water on Sunday and crash onto the sailboat of a couple sailing off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa.
There has been some speculation that perhaps the image posted Wednesday on Outposts as well as on numerous other websites had been Photoshopped.

"It is definitely legitimate," Paloma Werner, who had been out sailing with her boyfriend and business partner, Ralph Mothes of the Cape Town Sailing Academy, told Matt Lauer Thursday

The couple have been speaking publicly about their ordeal.
"I never for a minute thought this thing would hit the boat," Mothes added when speaking with Lauer. "Blow me down, suddenly I saw this huge monster shape come up out of the water on my port side and yeah, that's it. I mean, it just happened in an instant. It was quite frightening."

Officials from the local Department of Environmental Affairs have launched an investigation into the incident after several people came forward to say the boaters had broken the law by approaching the whale and that the 33-foot, 40-ton mammal was provoked into the attack.